Monday, June 11, 2007

I Can't Sleep: The Minnnesota Twins, Minnesota Roads, and Minneapolis Libraries

Yesterday I went to a Minnesota Twins game; they won. But I couldn't stop feeling this sinking, losing feeling.

As most local Minnesota residents know, the Twins finally got their new tax-subsidized stadium. If I remember correctly, 75% of the projected costs( One Billion Dollars) will be paid for by a tiny, less than one tenth of one percent increase on the sales tax in Hennepin County. So whenever you go out to eat, CHA-CHING! The Twins thank you. One tenth of one percent at a time.

But this isn't really the problem. The problem is the opportunity cost of this choice and every other choice like it; because at the same time as ground is being broken on this One Billion Dollar testament of our fear of becoming a cold Des Moines, we're closing libraries and the roads are becoming mere potholes of their former selfs.

To me that seems so stupid....

But should I be surprised? No. It seems most Americans are in a pretty tight situation as far as their personal finances in part due to poor choices. Why should their decisions about their public finances be any different?

We are living in the new Rome: among other changes, no more is it "Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" it's now "Give me Entertainment and Give me Debt!"