Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Can America Afford the Illusion of Exceptionalism?

As always, the election season gives us an opportunity to learn about how our fellow citizens think about our country, our path forward, the road behind, and the nature of country.

I bleed Democrat...but I can understand the Republican ideals of limited government. Granted, I believe it's not 100% optimal for growth, but at least it has it's own internal logic.

But I don't think I'll ever understand the belief in American Exceptionalism. This belief that we're God's new chosen people. Why, intrinsically America is the best place short of Heaven.

It seems that it's the single element that has most driven the Bush administration. It's the reason we're in Iraq. It gives us a Not-Invented-Here mentality that is the reason we don't have better health care system, better educational system, and a better environment. It holds back our view or the world, which is no longer(if it ever even was) the cesspool of incompetence some seem to intrinsically think it is. Ultimately, it's an unproven, romantic ideal that, after George Bush, we can no longer afford.


And this means I can never be a Republican.