Friday, August 16, 2002

tonight I timed another slam-I also did one last night.

This one was pretty good-as good as the one last night.

A lot of the poets really try to reach their audience. I think that's the key. The ones I'll remember the least are the ones that didn't really have a broad ranging topic, something everyone could grab hold of.

My favorite so far has been a poet who spoke about his wife and about the decreasing condition of their cars. He called it the "Shitbox Mistique." It was funny, and also aligorical for the increasing decay of their bodies( the fellow was older--early to mid sixties ).

Another good one I saw last night was a group presentation. It was presented as a do-op. To be honest, I can't remember the subject so well....I think it was a love poem.

Another good one that I saw tonight was done by this woman who talked about how she's white, but to her family, to her inner circle, she's irish. It delt with how the greater world tries to simplify us, make us generic. But we're not.

I wish I would have taken better notes, as I would have liked to decribe these things in greater detail. Anyways, I might get called tomorrow to do some stuff, maybe I'll bug Meghan and see if I can help her, but if this was my experience with the National Poetry Slam of 2002, I'll be very satisfied. I would also enjoy seeing stuff here, locally, during the year.

who knows, they might be able to talk me into doing something. I just have to find something twisted enough, fun enough, or sexy enough to talk about.

well, to sleep I go. have to get up in 5 hours.